Thursday 31 March 2016

The Fool

In Tarot, The Fool is so-called because he is not aware that he is about to step off the edge of a cliff. I have come to learn however, that he is in fact one of the wisest characters in the deck. He does not fear the unknown and instead relishes his journey driven by faith, bliss and joy.

I am The Fool. I have been joyfully skipping along the path toward the unknown, with little possessions or money to save me should I plummet off the edge of that cliff. 
This stuff is both exciting and scary. Living day by day off whatever money I manage to earn offering massages to the locals and tourists of San Marcos is both liberating and terrifying.

Early on in my journey, I was told by a local shaman that if I'm doing energy work I should get a dreadlock for protection and grounding. So when my friend Natalie started talking to a local artesano I asked if he could make me a dread. He agreed and I sat in the dirt on the side of the street as he gave me my first dreadlock.

  
As recommended by the shaman, I asked for some red thread to be worked into it to represent the blood of my ancestors, my soul tribe, who give me strength and protect me. I also asked for a piece of woven hemp to be incorporated, which at its end had a snake vertebra representing transformation and kundalini energy; a bell as the rattle of the snake tail and to ward off evil spirits; and a white heron feather signifying my guardian angels who guide me. The artesano then rubbed the dread between his hands and Natalie translated for me a little - he said he was charging it up with energy for strength and grounding.


A few days later I woke up to watch the sunrise, and as I sat at the dock I cried. I realised I was down to my last 25 quetzales, had no where to live and no massages booked in. What had I done?! How did I think this was a good idea, putting myself on the poverty line! I felt like my world was falling to pieces and I was alone... And yet somehow I knew everything would work out. I knew I had been drawn to this place for a reason. So I prayed:
I have everything I need to fulfill my purpose, have a good life and be content.

Within 2 days my luck had changed (thanks to the amazing community of friends I have here) and I was living in a lovely room in town that looked out over bougainvillea and hibiscus plants, and had enough space for me to do my morning yoga. I also had David the astrologer living next door to me. He was amazingly generous and supportive during our time as neighbours and read my astrological chart for me... and that's a whole other story!

So I guess my revelation has been that if you allow yourself to be guided by what makes you happy, what you love and are passionate about - listen to your heart and follow that guidance. Any kind of procrastination is really fear. Do not let fear of failure or the desire for perfection stop you from doing what you love. Take that leap of faith, and leap purely for the experience of flying through the air. The Universe will have a surprising way of supporting you when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment